Monday, June 13, 2005

I'm not creative - Yes you are!

Recently I seem to have had quite a few people say to me that they consider themselves "not creative". This is probably something to do with the fact that i'm self-obsessed enough to start talking about myself and my experiences as a writer with nearly everyone I meet. The most common thing people say to me in response is that they could never imagine themselves doing what i've done; often they explain this with the aforementioned opinion that they're just not creative at all.

I think this is a real shame. Personally I really believe that everyone is creative; it's part of what makes humans who they are. No single person i've ever met has been quite like any other, and a large part of this comes from the fact that every single one has different ideas about the world. All that one needs to be creative is to have something to express, and a means to express it. Everyone, because of their unique perspective, has something original to say if they can find the words, or other medium.

I think there are two main things which hold people back:

Now none of what i've just said is at all original (ironically), but I felt like saying it anyway. By the way, those of you who actually read all this stuff might have noticed a strain of seriousness creeping in to this blog in recent weeks. If you would prefer me to keep things lighter and sillier, you could always drop me a comment. Alternatively, if you actually prefer my somewhat pretentious semi-philosophical ramblings, send a comment to that effect. Basically what i'm saying is that the style of this blog is subject to the democratic process, or would be if anyone actually used their votes. In the absence of any guidance, i'll just write whatever comes into my head at the time. Given the nature of some of my thoughts, even i'm quite scared by this prospect.

Comments:
Well, that's put paid to my next post then! Shame, it might have been interesting, in a startlingly disturbed kind of way.

Thanks for the comment. Whoever said one vote can't change things? As the situation stands, your vote counts for a lot (approximately 100%). It's one woman, one vote, quite literally.
 
I thought it was try everything once, except Country Dancing and Heroin.

Maybe that's a different rule for America.

Anyway Hugh - I've got a long rambling email about your book sitting in my drafts folder at home. I've gone back to it a few times, and it's getting more disjointed and crazy each time.

How are you getting on with the rest of it? I need more!
 
Well, Morris dancing is a kind of country dancing I guess. And those guys must be on something anyway, to partcipate in such a strange pastime.

Don't know where the incest comes in though. Best not to think about it.

The book is progressing, slowly. I've removed most of the distractions like jobs etc. but there's still other stuff to do (like responding to comments on my blog, for example) and even working several hours a day it takes time for a novice like me get very far.

By the way - "I've gone back to it a few times, and it's getting more disjointed and crazy each time..." Does this refer to the book itself, or to your email about it (or both)?
 
My email. The book makes sense for the most part.
 
Really? Are you sure you're reading the right book?
 
This is honestly the most inspiring and insightful post. This is when I reckon Misterhugh is at his best. It was always the quirky, inward looking semi-philosophical Hugh that I liked the best.

I hope that his book is along the same lines and doesn't get too caught up in a rambling story, but uses the story to make many a comment on life. A bit like Sophie's World but less um... educational.

I would ask for a copy but everyone knows I've only ever finished one book.
 
Aw, thanks Jamie. I'm feeling all emotional now.

You'll notice the trend for long and philosophical posts is continuing.

Which book was it by the way? Sophie's world I assume.
 
No, I only read part of Sophie's World. My concentration is so bad, I never finish any book, but I managed to get to the end of 2001 by Arthur C Clarke. It ruled. And as normal I tried to read 2010 but failed. I seriously think I suffer from acute A.D.D.

It's like that time I... oh look, a pencil...
 
If you can get through 2001, you can probably get through nearly any book. It's a good story, but not exactly what i'd call light reading.

My book's just like sophie's world, except for it's central themes which are Morris dancing, country dancing, heroin and incest, in approximately that order. Then there's an odd bit a the end where the main character tries them all at once. It gets a bit disjointed and crazy at that point...

Only kidding. Maybe.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?